The gallery of OAP presidents is the fruit of a project initiated by the OAP board and executive in early 2000. It stands today as a wonderful tribute, both to the founders of this organization and to the many others who have provided outstanding leadership to Ontario’s pathology community. It also highlights the geographic diversity of the many practice areas served by the OAP.
Careful readers may notice several years with no designated president, and one incident where two appear to have served the same term. Alas, much has been lost in the mists of time, and, at press time, even our most senior members were unable to fill these missing gaps. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any of this information.
Until then, we thank Dr. Demo Divaris for his tremendous effort in putting this gallery together, and Dr. Murray Treloar for undertaking the work necessary to post it to the OAP website.
OAP Presidents 1938-2019
E. Celia Marginean, MD, FRCPC, FCAP: 2017-2019
- Doctor of Medicine, University “Victor Babes”, Timisoara, Romania
- Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Residency, St. Barnabas Medical Center, NJ, USA
- Fellowship in GI/liver Pathology, Yale University, CT, USA
- Fellowship in Cytopathology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
- Associate Professor, Pathology, Ottawa University
- Head, GI section, Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON
- Deputy head, Cytopathology Section, Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON
- Research interests are GI cancers, including pancreatic, CRC, gastric, esophageal and neuroendocrine tumours (NET)
Dr. Russell Price: 2015-2017
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Ottawa
- Fellowship in General Pathology, Queen’s University
- Chief of Pathology, Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre 1998-2014
- Medical Director of Laboratories, Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre 1998-present
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University
- Clinical Adjunct Professor, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Western University
Dr. David Shum: 2013-2015
- Graduated in medicine, University of Hong Kong
- Did his pathology residency at the Western University, London, Ontario
- Obtained his fellowship in anatomical pathology in 1980.
- Became the Chief of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the Windsor Regional Hospital in 2004
- Medical Director at the Medical Laboratories of Windsor Ltd.
- An Adjunct Professor with the Pathology Department, the Schulich School of Medicine at the Western University.
Dr. Katherine Chorneyko: 2011-13
- Received MD University of Western Ontario, 1989; pathology training University of Ottawa and McMaster University; additional training in electron microscopy.
- Worked many years at Hamilton Health Sciences and McMaster University; currently Medical Laboratory Director in Brantford ON.
- Recently completed term as president, Brant County Medical Association.